We provide our clients with a comprehensive infrastructure planning and delivery service, from assessing the viability of potential development sites through to planning, detailed design and delivery.
Former Laundry SiteTroy Homes Limited
Ardent’s team of in-house specialists undertook a Transport Assessment for this site which had been afforded a draft allocation for residential development within Epping Forest District Council’s Local Plan.
The proposal for 58 units were largely flats, with parking below the Essex-prescribed parking standards due to the site’s proximity to the underground station. It was also near the Epping Forest Special Area of Conservation (EFSAC), restricting the increase of vehicle movements within this key European-protected area.
We undertook extensive pre-application discussions with Essex County Council Highways (ECCH), providing access and internal design advice and a detailed Transport Assessment of the scheme’s impacts. Although the site was contentious locally, we secured a positive recommendation from ECCH.
We also provided written evidence and appeared as an Expert Witness at the subsequent informal planning hearing to defend the parking level and the impact upon the EFSAC. The Inspector found in favour of Ardent on both of the key highway and transport matters.
- Planned access design in line with Essex’s requirements and the Manual for Streets
- Designed internal roads in accordance with Essex Design Guide requirements
- Undertook extensive negotiations with Essex County Council Highways to confirm positive recommendation of the scheme
- Analysed the vehicular impacts upon the Epping Forest Special Area of Conservation
- Evidenced-based approach to both parking and EFSAC issues
- Appeared as an Expert Witness at the informal planning hearing, drawing upon our deep expertise of highways and transport matters
- Access to our extensive experience in the Essex county region and strong relationships with local Highway Officers
- Provided detailed knowledge regarding the Manual for Streets and the Essex Design Guide
- Calculated appropriate parking level for the scheme using empirical evidence and background knowledge of the local area
- Detailed understanding of the EFSAC issues generally preventing current permissions being granted in the District
- Successfully defended the scheme at the hearing with regard to highways and transport matters under in depth questioning from both the Inspector and local objectors